Who wrote this? ROR news desk Choosing the right treatment center can save your loved one’s life. Addiction care is expensive, and you want the very best care at the best value for your loved one. You also want a good fit and the best possibility for a good outcome. Treatment centers are not all alike, nor do they have the same services or philosophy. Personality matters, too.
Who wrote this one? Listed as recovery news desk. 🙁 What is rehab? Get The Facts Before You Choose One. Rehab used to mean professional healthcare therapies to improve, maintain, or restore physical strength, cognition, and mobility. Usually after illness, injury or surgery.
Advice to the younger, more codependent me from the stronger, more independent me – thanks to nine months in the rooms of recovery. When your loved one is in Detox:
Treatment referrals can be problematic. If you have been referred to a substance abuse treatment center, there are things you need to do to ensure your safety or the safety of your loved one. First, consider any referrals from friends, your physician, an online website, or an ad as a starting point for research, only. It doesn’t matter who refers you to a center, you have to research the facility and make sure it’s a good fit for your needs.
Steps to Stay Safe Even if You Have a Referral
Before choosing a facility or giving any person or center your information be sure:
- The facility is upfront about costs (including urine screenings and other tests), insurance deductibles, copays, and other out-of-pocket expenses.
- The facility has a policy about patient referrals and does not engage in patient brokering by paying for patients.
- The facility is accredited. Most facilities want to brag about accreditation and will have a certification from the Commission on Accreditation of Rehab Facilities (CARF) or the Joint Commission Accreditation for Addiction Treatment Gold Seal for Behavioral Health on their website and marketing material.
- The facility has full time credentialed addiction counselors on staff, not just staff that is trained in recovery or related field. And the facility website has photographs of the staff with bios and contact information.
- The facility is equipped to handle any co-occurring disorders and treatment for these disorders are integrated into the program curriculum or tracks, and staff can assess, identify interventions, and prescribe medications.
- The facility practices evidence-based treatments and life-coping skills such as through:
- Acceptance-commitment therapy
- Cognitive behavior therapy
- Community Reinforcement and Family Training
- Community reinforcement approach
- Dialectical behavior therapy
- Medicated Assisted Treatment
- Multi-Dimensional Family Therapy
- The facility is proud of their daily schedule and is eager to share it with you. You should see structured and supervised activities such as weekday programs, weekend programs, group counseling, individual counseling, support group, chores, and recreational activities.
- The facility offers options for family involvement such as education abuse and support.
- The facility has dedicated discharge planners and continuing care programs or mentors.
- The facility is dedicated to patient safety and have programs in place to deal with patient relapses that includes support even if it means transferring them to a detox facility or another program.